Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Painting an Egyptian Part I

Right now I'm in the middle of a big project involving ancients and currently I am painting up Old Glory New Kingdom Egyptians. After I read a post on the TMP about mass painting ancients I wondered exactly how fast (or slow) my method was going to be. So I decided to time myself. Now I’ve not bothering to time priming, basing, assembly, or protective coating. But I will time painting. I’m not being overly accurate here. I look at the clock when I start and finish for 10 figures.

Now to make this actually a useful posting and give me a reference if I ever have to duplicate this effort in a year or so, I will include a list of the paints I used and the steps I took.

Step 1: Priming
Primed white with Krylon white primer
Step 2: Linen
Linen painted with Graveyard Earth

Normally I paint 'inside' to out. I start on the flesh and work my way to the weapons. But here, since I was going to be using dry brushing on the linen only, that is where I started. Basically I did the messy bit first.

Stages of Linen
Moving from left to Right: 
  1. I base coated the linen with GW Graveyard Earth. (15 minutes)
  2. I dry-brush the line with an off-white. Here I use Vallejo Bone White.
  3. (5 minutes)After letting that dry (time not counted), I ink the linen with GW Devlan mud. (5 minutes)
  4. After letting the ink dry (time not counted), I dry-brush the linen again with the bone mixed with white. ( 5 minutes)
The linen will be finished with a final highlight at the end. This will let me cover any mistakes.

Step 3: Flesh
Moving from left to right:
  1. From last step.
  2. I base coat the flesh with GW Tallarn Flesh. (18 minutes)
  3. After letting that dry (time not counted), I ink the linen with GW Devlan mud. (4 minutes)
  4. After letting the ink dry (time not counted), I highlight the flesh again with Tallarn Flesh. ( 8 minutes)
Flesh Finished.
Part 1 Wrap-up:
Not bad progress for one hour. Of course, I can't sit for an hour straight painting. I have to get up and move around. So that makes this a day project. In the next part, I will paint the weapons, shields, and head gear. And I hope to finish up in part 3 with basing and protective coating for the whole unit. This will include the previous 10 I had painted up.

Acknowledgements:
The painting scheme used here is based on one from my friend Adam. It is the scheme he used to paint my Hebrews for me minus an extra flesh highlight. I skipped that highlight to make my Egyptians a shade darker then my Hebrews. The Hebrews Adam painted can be seen elsewhere in this blog.

2 comments:

Bed Linens said...

I am soooooo impressed! Your talent is amazing!
Keep up the creative work.

twhitty said...

Thanks! Though it is less talent and more practice...and lots of advice.