Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thoughts are turning to Conan for some reason

With the new 40k starter set coming out, I've been digging out my old Chaos figures. I found some of the fantasy Marauders I had intended to turn into cultists. These figures always make me think of the 1st Conan movie and all the oft quoted lines from the movie as well. Of course I never remember things correctly so I googled Conan quotes. One interesting thing I found is that the lamentation quote actually comes from a book on Genghis Kahn:

http://www.barbariankeep.com/ctbsecrets.html

Beyond that, and this will only be found on this blog, that section of Harlod Lamb's book wasn't as Harlod originally wrote it. Here is an earlier unpublished draft:

One day in the pavilion at Karakorum he [Genghis Kahn] asked an officer of the Mongol guard what, in all the world, could bring the greatest happiness.

"The open steppe, a clear day, and a swift horse under you," responded the officer after a little thought, "and a falcon on your wrist to start up hares."

"Nay," responded the Kahn, "to crush your enemies, to see them fall at your feet -- to take their horses and goods and hear the lamentation of their women. That is best."

"What is best? Is it crushing your enemies, seeing them fall, taking their horses, taking their goods, or hearing the lamentation of their women?" Interrupted T. Tibbetotai.

Kahn looked at Tibbetotai with a blank expression.

Tibbetotai continued, "I mean you say 'that is best.' It seems to me only one of those things can be best, not all 4..."

Guard, "5."

"5 things, " Tibbetotai corrected himself, "Of course you may mean all of those things together. If so you should say.." Tibbetotai finished as his head hit the ground.

Kahn looked at the guard while wiping his sword on Tibbetotai and said, "Have his horses and goods brought to my ger. Now where did those women of his go."

From the unpublished draft of GENGHIS KAHN: THE EMPEROR OF ALL MEN, pages 106-107:

Now what this has anything to do with my blog is beyond me.

No comments: